Re: [RFC 02/22] configfs: Add structconfigfs_item_operations->check_link() in configfs_unlink()

From: Joel Becker
Date: Fri Sep 10 2010 - 15:47:33 EST

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:06:46PM -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 08:28 -0700, Joel Becker wrote:
> > The trivial solution is to refcount your ACLs. You get both
> > allow_link() calls, so you should be able to increment a counter there,
> > and then drop them when the last drop_link() call is made. That will
> > keep your consumer structures around until all links are exhausted.
> >

> So I am a bit confused wrt to this last response.. The ->check_link()
> patch and it's use in the fabric independent code within
> target_core_fabric_configfs.c does exactly this for the 'MappedLUN'
> symlink case, eg: requires the consumer to do the allow_link() +
> drop_link() refcounting, and add the
> API check into fs/configfs/symlink.c:configfs_unlink()

You can refcount without check_link().

> Is there another form of configfs consumer refcounting that you had in
> mind beyond using an atomic_t for this with ->check_link() here..?

I'm saying that you won't crash if you don't free the ACLs on
the first drop_link(). That is, the drop_link() goes through as
configfs wants it to, but you don't crash.

> So beyond a configfs consumer solution, what do you think about checking
> for the sub_child/group2/dst_0/dst_link style of symlink
> in fs/configfs/symlink.c:configfs_symlink() in order to add some form of
> internal refcount when the symlink source is within the same consumer
> LKM, but outside of the parent struct config_group..?
>
> This would involve the conversion of fs/configfs/symlink.c:
> configfs_unlink() path to check for the existence of this internal
> refcount and returning -EPERM when any sub_child/group2/dst_0/dst_link
> exist when 'unlink sub_child/group1/src_0/src_link' is attempted.

You're still fighting allowing the links to go away. You
haven't explained why that is necessary. You had a problem with a crash
because you expected one reference to your ACLs and actually have two,
but you can fix that without modifying configfs.

Joel

--

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain

Joel Becker
Consulting Software Developer
Oracle