Generic GPIO on USB / hotpluggable gpiolib device

From: Andy Green
Date: Fri Sep 10 2010 - 04:52:25 EST

Hi -

I just wrote a small driver that exposes a USB device's IO as generic GPIO using a little protocol. I often needed a simple way to bitbang something from my laptop and this is going to be very useful to implement it.

It works fine with dynamic GPIO allocation and so on, but I maybe realized at the end why nobody did this until now, in gpiolib it says...

/**
* gpiochip_remove() - unregister a gpio_chip
* @chip: the chip to unregister
*
* A gpio_chip with any GPIOs still requested may not be removed.
*/
int gpiochip_remove(struct gpio_chip *chip)
{
for (id = chip->base; id < chip->base + chip->ngpio; id++) {
if (test_bit(FLAG_REQUESTED, &gpio_desc[id].flags)) {
status = -EBUSY;
break;
}
}

In short gpiolib doesn't have the concept that the chip can be hot(un)plugged randomly, including at times when something has requested the GPIO.

I am quite certain that USB generic GPIO would be something very nice for end users, to be able to casually plug in even the cheapest USB micro and bitbang as much GPIO as you like from userspace in a standardized way (including being able to exploit the existing bitbang protocol drivers on the exposed GPIO) would be very handy. The protocol is simple and flexible (1 x IN endpoint and 1 x OUT endpoint, only one packet per call, device announces number of GPIO it supports).

What'd be the feeling if I enhanced gpiolib a bit along the lines of:

- changing the chip set() function to be able to return errors, at the moment it's void return from that

- adding a flag marking a chip as "dead", causing all IO via it to fail immediately and it to be auto-removed when the last request goes

Does this seem workable? What to do about say SPI bitbang protocol driver instance that sees its generic gpio calls started failing?

-Andy