Re: [rfc patch] treewide: Convert "static const char <*> foo[] ="to "static const char <*> const foo[] ="

From: Joe Perches
Date: Thu Sep 09 2010 - 15:33:40 EST

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 15:16 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 14:48, Joe Perches wrote:
> > could be warned by checkpatch
> i dont think you even need to check the contents. just match the base:
> char foo[]
> const char *foo[]
> we want to catch these even if it isnt static, and catching the
> forward decl would be useful too.

I think that's not so good.
There are times when a default is used but then modified.

For instance:
drivers/staging/comedi/drivers/comedi_bond.c: char file[] = "/dev/comediXXXXXX";

> your perl hack isnt quite right.

The script I posted doesn't eat that whitespace.
The diff I sent you did. I wouldn't post that.

> how about making a coccinelle patch ?

Not necessary I think.
If Julia or anyone else wants to, no objection.