mm/Kconfig: warning: (COMPACTION && EXPERIMENTAL && HUGETLB_PAGE &&MMU) selects MIGRATION which has unmet direct dependencies (NUMA || ARCH_ENABLE_MEMORY_HOTREMOVE)

From: Sedat Dilek
Date: Thu Sep 09 2010 - 11:10:41 EST

Hi,

while build latest 2.6.36-rc3 I get this warning:

[ build.log]
warning: (COMPACTION && EXPERIMENTAL && HUGETLB_PAGE && MMU) selects
MIGRATION which has unmet direct dependencies (NUMA ||
ARCH_ENABLE_MEMORY_HOTREMOVE)

Here the excerpt of...

[ mm/Kconfig ]
# support for memory compaction
config COMPACTION
bool "Allow for memory compaction"
select MIGRATION
depends on EXPERIMENTAL && HUGETLB_PAGE && MMU
help
Allows the compaction of memory for the allocation of huge pages.

I have set the following kernel-config parameters:

$ egrep 'COMPACTION|HUGETLB_PAGE|MMU|MIGRATION|NUMA|ARCH_ENABLE_MEMORY_HOTREMOVE'
linux-2.6.36-rc3/debian/build/build_i386_none_686/.config
CONFIG_MMU=y
# CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER is not set
CONFIG_IOMMU_API=y
CONFIG_COMPACTION=y
CONFIG_MIGRATION=y
CONFIG_MMU_NOTIFIER=y
CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE=y
# CONFIG_IOMMU_STRESS is not set

Looks like I have no NUMA or ARCH_ENABLE_MEMORY_HOTREMOVE set.

Ok, it is a *warning*...

Kind Regards,
- Sedat -