Re: [RFC trollpatch 1/1] genirq: Remove the fits all and nothing__do_IRQ() code

From: Mike Frysinger
Date: Wed Sep 08 2010 - 16:29:01 EST

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 14:51, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 18:14 +0000, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>> plain text document attachment (genirq-troll-patch.patch)
>> __do_IRQ() has been deprecated after a two years migration phase in
>> commit 0e57aa1. Since then another 18 month have gone by.
>>
>> So here's the status three and a half years after the flow based
>> infrastructure was merged:
>>
>> ÂThe following architectures are still using __do_IRQ():
>>
>> Â alpha, cris, ia64, h8300, m32r, m68knommu, parisc, um
>>
>> So now the question arises what to do with __do_IRQ().
>>
>> Removing it would be the right thing, but that'll break 8 archs, so
>> it's probably not considered a good idea, though for most of them the
>> conversion should be reasonably trivial.
>>
>> I'm happy to move that code into kernel/irq/cruft.c forever if there
>> is no way to get the remaining users converted in the forseeable
>> future. It looks like they can cope with the annoying build warning
>> nicely.
>
> Well, if you're going to deprecate something that 8 architectures rely
> on, it would be nice to tell people ... or even just linux-arch ... most
> of us do read that. ÂI've actually never noticed the warning the commit
> activated in any of my parisc compiles for some reason.

the only reason Blackfin was converted quickly is because the code
issues a warning (that has been there for a long time):
# warning __do_IRQ is deprecated. Please convert to proper flow handlers

so i guess you're saying that you disable the "ENABLE_WARN_DEPRECATED"
option ? or you dont pay attention to warnings when compiling kernels
?
-mike