Re: [RFC trollpatch 1/1] genirq: Remove the fits all and nothing__do_IRQ() code

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Wed Sep 08 2010 - 15:39:10 EST

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 18:14 +0000, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > plain text document attachment (genirq-troll-patch.patch)
> > __do_IRQ() has been deprecated after a two years migration phase in
> > commit 0e57aa1. Since then another 18 month have gone by.
> >
> > So here's the status three and a half years after the flow based
> > infrastructure was merged:
> >
> > The following architectures are fully converted to the new flow
> > handler code:
> >
> > arm, avr32, blackfin, frv, microblaze, mips, mn10300, powerpc, score, sh,
> > sparc 64bit, tile, x86, xtensa
> >
> > (avr32 and xtensa should set CONFIG_GENERIC_HARDIRQS_NO__DO_IRQ
> > though)
> >
> > The following architectures are not using the generic interrupt
> > infrastructure at all and are therefor unaffected:
> >
> > s390, m68k, sparc 32bit
> >
> > The following architectures are still using __do_IRQ():
> >
> > alpha, cris, ia64, h8300, m32r, m68knommu, parisc, um
> >
> > So now the question arises what to do with __do_IRQ().
> >
> > Removing it would be the right thing, but that'll break 8 archs, so
> > it's probably not considered a good idea, though for most of them the
> > conversion should be reasonably trivial.
> >
> > I'm happy to move that code into kernel/irq/cruft.c forever if there
> > is no way to get the remaining users converted in the forseeable
> > future. It looks like they can cope with the annoying build warning
> > nicely.
>
> Well, if you're going to deprecate something that 8 architectures rely
> on, it would be nice to tell people ... or even just linux-arch ... most

It's been told people. The deprecation patch was on LKMl (I don't
remember whether I sent it to linux-arch), but there were a bunch of
related patches to clean out the old irq related cruft which were sent
to linux-arch and also hit the parisc tree. There is an entry in
feature-removal-schedule.txt for 18 month now.

> of us do read that. I've actually never noticed the warning the commit
> activated in any of my parisc compiles for some reason.

CONFIG_ENABLE_WARN_DEPRECATED=y perhaps ?

I'm really tired of your whining when you did not get a personalized
taylored to your needs info.

14 architectures got converted and some maintainers sent out mail to
their users 18 month ago right after the deprecation patch was sent
(www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2009-03/msg00068.html), there
were reviews of new architecture code on linux-arch where this was
pointed out, so don't tell me that there was not enough information
about this.

> > Either that or moving everything what breaks into staging/arch/* and
> > hand it over to GregKH :)
> >
> > Thoughts ?
>
> We could move x86 into staging while it tries out the replacement ...

The replacement of what?

Thanks,

tglx