Re: AMD Geode NOPL emulation for kernel 2.6.36-rc2

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Sep 08 2010 - 14:47:23 EST

> And nobody has answered what happens when NOPLs are used to
> synchronise with something else? Surely that can lead to subtle, hard
> to debug breakage? Isn't that plain worse than refusing to run or
> breaking out of execution?

NOPL for synchronisation - of user space. I'd say thats sufficiently
unlikely not to care. It's still an improvement on crashing.

The other point you make is a good one but it's not clear that all the
proprietary apps for example will get recompiled, so to many users its
not a solution. Similarly the long term stable distros aren't going to
recompile everything and invalidate all their test data, so I doubt that
things like Centos will.

Alan