Re: RFC: Crypto API User-interface

From: Herbert Xu
Date: Tue Sep 07 2010 - 10:11:21 EST

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:06:46AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 04:42:13PM +0800, Herbert Xu wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > This is what I am proposing for the Crypto API user-interface.
>
> Can you explain why we would ever want a userspace interface to it?
>
> doing crypto in kernel for userspace consumers sis simply insane.
> It's computational intensive code which has no business in kernel space
> unless absolutely required (e.g. for kernel consumers). In addition
> to that adding the context switch overhead and address space transitions
> is god awfull too.
>
> This all very much sounds like someone had far too much crack.

FWIW I don't care about user-space using kernel software crypto at
all. It's the security people that do.

The purpose of the user-space API is to export the hardware crypto
devices to user-space. This means PCI devices mostly, as things
like aesni-intel can already be used without kernel help.

Now as a side-effect if this means that we can shut the security
people up about adding another interface then all the better. But
I will certainly not go out of the way to add more crap to the
kernel for that purpose.

Cheers,
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>