Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread, take three

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 04:58:00 EST

Hi!

> > > So, Felipe,
> > >
> > > Do you believe you speak for all of LKML?
> > >
> > > Are you willing to tell ZDNet and the Slashdot fanboys that it's OK
> > > for Suspend blockers to live in a separate tree, and it's not a case
> > > of OMG! Google is forking the kernel?
> > >
> > > If you could speak out a passionately on those forums as you have
> > > here, that would be great.
> >
> > Ted, what is going on here? Are you suggesting people disagreeing with
> > Google patches suddenly have to do advocacy for Google?
> >
> > And yes, for the record Felipe speaks for me pretty well.
> >
> > Normal path of merging stuff to the kernel is
> >
> > "Google develops it, then modifies it to address the review comments,
> > then it is merged, then it is deployed".
>
> Pavel, you should know better than this. You've been working on Linux
> long enough to know that development doesn't happen this way.

Well, I know that world is not always ideal, but it still surprised me
how far from "ideal" Google got....

> Although it would have been nice for Google to work more directly with
> upstream on their suspend blockers for Android, I don't think they
> could have made their product development cycle a slave to the politics
> of upstream development.

"Slave of upstream politics" would be going all the way; seeing the
patches before there were million devices out there would also help a
lot...

> Fortunately in this case the problem doesn't seem to be fatal. We've
> already established that the userland API portion of suspend blockers
> could be implemented in userspace with a bit more work, given that the
> kernel problems with suspend/resume and events are addressed.

You are an optimist. Yes, I also hope it will work out fine, but...
Pavel