[2.6.35.x regression] rcu_preempt_state stall warning and machine slow-downs

From: Matthias Dahl
Date: Wed Sep 01 2010 - 02:56:25 EST

Hi.

I've a recurring problem w/ kernel 2.6.35.x that I cannot pinpoint exactly but
seems to be related to rcu_preempt_state stall warnings I get frequently.

From time to time, the machine slows down to an almost halt (meaning jumpy or
non-responsive mouse cursor, unable to switch to text console, ...) which can
also result in a complete hang w/o any way to recover. Sometimes the system
catches up again but once this happened, the system is sluggish and a reboot
is required nevertheless. High load seems to help a lot to trigger this issue.

In every instance, I found stall warnings in my log which might be related. I
have attached three of them along with my config and dmesg.

The system works flawlessly with pre-2.6.35 kernels- no stall warnings and no
slow-downs at all.

If there is anything I can do to help further diagnose this problem, please let
me know.

So long,
matthias.

PS. Please cc' me because I am not subscribed to the list. Thanks a lot.