Re: [KVM timekeeping 03/35] Move TSC offset writes to common code

From: Zachary Amsden
Date: Mon Aug 23 2010 - 20:51:35 EST

On 08/20/2010 07:06 AM, Glauber Costa wrote:
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 10:07:17PM -1000, Zachary Amsden wrote:
Also, ensure that the storing of the offset and the reading of the TSC
are never preempted by taking a spinlock. While the lock is overkill
now, it is useful later in this patch series.

+ spinlock_t tsc_write_lock;
Forgive my utter ignorance, specially if it is to become
obvious in a latter patch: This is a vcpu-local operation,
uses rdtscl, so pcpu-local too, and we don't expect
multiple writers to it at the same time.

Why do we need this lock?

Synchronizing access to the variables which we use to match TSC writes across multiple VCPUs.