Re: [Patch] numa:x86_64: Cacheline aliasing makes for_each_populated_zoneextremely expensive -V2.

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu Aug 19 2010 - 18:55:17 EST

On 08/18/2010 11:30 AM, Robin Holt wrote:

> - node_data[nodeid] = early_node_mem(nodeid, start, end, pgdat_size,
> + /*
> + * Allocate an extra cacheline per node to reduce cacheline
> + * aliasing when scanning all node's node_data.
> + */
> + cache_alias_offset = nodeid * SMP_CACHE_BYTES;
> + node_data[nodeid] = cache_alias_offset +
> + early_node_mem(nodeid, start, end,
> + pgdat_size + cache_alias_offset,
> SMP_CACHE_BYTES);
> - if (node_data[nodeid] == NULL)
> + if (node_data[nodeid] == (void *)cache_alias_offset)
> return;
> nodedata_phys = __pa(node_data[nodeid]);
> reserve_early(nodedata_phys, nodedata_phys + pgdat_size, "NODE_DATA");

I'm concerned about this, because it really seems to rely on subtleties
in the behavior of early_node_mem, as well as the direction of
find_e820_area -- which is pretty much intended to change anyway. It's
the "action at a distance" effect.

What we really want, I think, is to push the offsetting into
find_early_area(). Right now we have an alignment parameter, but what
we need is an alignment and a color parameter (this is just a classic
case of cache coloring, after all) which indicates the desirable offset
from the alignment base.

-hpa