Re: Proposal: Use hi-res clock for file timestamps

From: Chuck Lever
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 14:18:05 EST

On Aug 18, 2010, at 1:32 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 03:53:59PM +1000, Neil Brown wrote:
>> I'm not sure you even want to pay for a per-filesystem atomic access when
>> updating mtime. mnt_want_write - called at the same time - seems to go to
>> some lengths to avoid an atomic operation.
>>
>> I think that nfsd should be the only place that has to pay the atomic
>> penalty, as it is where the need is.
>>
>> I imagine something like this:
>> - Create a global struct timespec which is protected by a seqlock
>> Call it current_nfsd_time or similar.
>> - file_update_time reads this and uses it if it is newer than
>> current_fs_time.
>> - nfsd updates it whenever it reads an mtime out of an inode that matches
>> current_fs_time to the granularity of 1/HZ.
>
> We can also skip the update whenever current_nfsd_time is greater than
> the inode's mtime--that's enough to ensure that the next
> file_update_time() call will get a time different from the inode's
> current mtime.

Would it help if we only did this for directories, for now?

Files have close-to-open. Directories... don't. So we have the problem where directory changes (ie file creation and deletion) takes a long time (some times an infinitely long time) to propagate to clients. Plus: directories don't change very often, so using fine-grained time stamps only on directories wouldn't impact heavy I/O workloads.

> And that means that a sequence like
>
> file_update_time()
> N nfsd_getattr()'s
>
> doesn't make N updates to current_nfsd_time, when only 1 was necessary.
>
>> If the current value is before current_kernel_time, it
>> is set to current_kernel_time, otherwise tv_nsec is incremented -
>> unless that increases
>> beyond jiffies_to_usec(1)*1000 beyond current_kernel_time.
>
> ... which would only happen on hardware that could process a getattr and
> a data update per nanosecond continuously for a jiffy.
>
>> - the global 'struct timespec' is zeroed whenever system time is set
>> backwards.
>
> OK, got it, I think: so this is the same as a global version of Alan's
> clock, except that the extra ticks only happen when they need to.
>
> The properties it satisfies:
>
> - It's still a single global clock, so it's consistent between
> files.
> - It degenerates to jiffies in the absence of getattr's from
> nfsd.
> - It need only invalidate the other cpus' cached value of the
> clock on the first getattr of a file that follows less than a
> jiffy after an update of the file's data.
> - Absent utime(), time going backwards, or futuristic hardware,
> it guarantees that two nfsd reads of an inode's mtime will
> return different values iff the inode's data was modified in
> between the two.
>
> Shortcomings:
>
> - The clock advances in units only of either 1 jiffy or 1 ns.
> This will look odd. But when the alternative is units of 1
> jiffy or 0 ns, it seems an improvement....
> - A slowdown due to inodes being file_update_time() marking inodes
> dirty more frequently?
> - Doesn't help with ext3. Oh well.
>
> Would the extra expense rule out treating sys_stat() the same as nfsd?
> It would be nice to be able to solve the same problem for userspace
> nfsd's (or any other application that might be using mtime to save
> rereading data).
>
> --b.
> --

chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com