Re: [Scst-devel] Fwd: Re: linuxcon 2010...

From: Joe Landman
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 12:39:45 EST

James Bottomley wrote:

During the open panel, my question was really specific -

Q) What is the future of a SCSI-target subsystem in linux. Which target engine/subsystem can we expect?

Your answer) There is place for only 1 target-subsystem in the Linux
scsi stack and in the LSF summit the decision was taken to merge LIO.
Has that
decision changed since the summit?

The decision hasn't been taken to merge LIO, but based on what happened
at the summit, I think it's the most viable candidate and will likely be
merged by 2.6.37

Quick question ... will LIO support SRP? I should probably run over to their lists and ask, but a quick inspection of their site this morning shows that they are mostly iSCSI and FC focused. (LIO folks, please feel free to step up and comment)

I'd certainly like to see a single framework, but not at the cost of losing important (to us) functionality. We'd like to continue to use SRP, and iSCSI. We'd like to use iSER (which is in the tgt stack) which LIO would give us when merged with tgt. We are currently using SCST's iSCSI and SRP stack within our products.

I believe this also affects the OFED folks, as SRP is one of their services (based upon SCST).

Any guidance (in a general sense on the target side, not necessarily specific to LIO) on this would be appreciated. SCST has been a good system for us to work with. I'd hate to lose its functionality, and have us be forced to re-engineer some of our backend logic to work around the missing bits. Thanks!

Regards,

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D