Re: Proposal: Use hi-res clock for file timestamps

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Aug 17 2010 - 15:39:21 EST

> I am having trouble seeing why this is a better idea than a simple
> mount option to obtain decent resolution timestamps. (Not that we
> can't have both...) Is there any objection to the mount option I am
> proposing?

I have none. I doubt I'd use it as it would be too expensive on system
performance for some of my boxes, while having an incrementing value is
cheap.

I don't see the two as conflicting - in fact the bits you need to do the
mount option are the bits you also need to do the counter version as
well. One fixes ordering at no real cost, the other adds high res
timestamps, both are useful.

Alan