Re: regulator voltage aggregation

From: Bobby Crabtree
Date: Tue Aug 17 2010 - 15:33:43 EST

Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:06:10AM -0700, Bobby Crabtree wrote:
>> I'm looking to upstream a new feature in which the regulator core
>> aggregates voltage requests from multiple consumers and applies the best
>> fitting voltage (e.g. max voltage) to a shared supply. The core would
>
> It's unlikely that the highest voltage would ever be the best choice...

We do need the highest voltage. Let's say we have two consumers
(A and B). Both require 1.3V for "normal" operations. Then let's
say that consumer A can save power by reducing the voltage to 1.1V
(but it doesn't require 1.1V). If the core were to immediately apply
1.1V, then the 1.3V requirement of consumer B would not be satisfied.

>> recompute the best fitting voltage when a consumer requests a voltage
>> change or requests to enable/disable the regulator (similar logic to
>> DRMS).
>
>> The reason we need this feature is for power savings. It would allow two
>> or more consumers to "vote" on a voltage that's lower than the normal
>> operating voltage.
>
> This was actually a feature of the regulator API when originally
> proposed, it got dropped for ease of review but there's some remanants
> of this in the code so it shouldn't be hard to resurrect. Whenever a
> voltage was set the code stored the range on the consumer then iterated
> over all consumers applying their ranges plus the machine constraints
> rather than just using the immediate value.

I noticed some of the remnants. But I'm not sure I follow what you
are saying. What range would the core actually propagate to the
driver? The minimum min_uV and the maximum max_uV? We need the core
to propagate the maximum min_uV and the maximum max_uV.

>> 1. Introduce a new API:
>
>> int regulator_set_optimum_voltage(struct regulator *regulator,
>> int min_uV, int max_uV);
>
> Why would you want to do this? This is just the same arguments as the
> standard regulator_set_voltage() call and if we're ever setting anything
> other than the optimal voltage we probably ought to just stop doing
> that.

"Optimum" was a bad choice of words. Seems that a new API isn't
preferred, so let's scrap this option.