Re: tasks getting stuck on mmap_sem?

From: Tony Luck
Date: Tue Aug 17 2010 - 14:24:29 EST

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No. Looks like the rwsem changes broke sparc too. ia64 had some problems too.

I did have some similar mmap_sem issues - but the combination of
fixing the types
of the RWSEM_* defines to be unsigned, and the return value of
ia64_atomic64_add()
to be "long" rather than "int" looks to have cleared up the problems I
was seeing. I
could generally see the hung processes in less than 10 consecutive
kernel builds, but
ran a few thousand builds over the weekend with no issues.

If git is multi-threaded, it may be hitting some different code path
... but it isn't trivial
for me to try this out (my systems are on an isolated lab network segment).

-Tony