Re: lockdep false positive? -- firewire-core transaction timer vs.scsi-core host lock

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Tue Aug 17 2010 - 12:23:30 EST

Yong Zhang wrote:
> I suspect it's introduced by commit 5c40cbfefa828208c671e2f58789e4dd04f79563
> which call del_timer_sync() in softirq.
>
> comments on del_timer_sync() say "It must not be called from interrupt contexts."

I hope the del_timer_sync kerneldoc comment is about hardIRQ context,
*otherwise* commit 5c40cbfe is defective indeed.

The firewire stack calls del_timer_sync in process or softIRQ context
(firewire-ohci tasklets, block layer soft IRQ, networking soft IRQ...)
but never from hardIRQ.
--
Stefan Richter