EFI runtime-services on x86_64

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Fri Jul 30 2010 - 16:59:29 EST

Hello Feng,

Can you educate me about your commit 772be899bc, "86: Make EFI RTC
function depend on 32bit again"?

It adds "#ifdef CONFIG_X86_32" to avoid using efi_get_time() and
efi_set_rtc_mmss(), but there's no explanation of *why* those services
only work on 32-bit.

Is this an EFI spec limitation? Do the other EFI runtime services
work on 64-bit, since you didn't touch them? Or do we just not use
any of the others?

Is this something that can be fixed, so we *could* use efi_get_time()
on 64-bit if we did some work? What would need to be done?

Bjorn