Re: Questions and problems with NFS4

From: Chuck Lever
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 14:08:44 EST

On 07/27/10 06:46 PM, J.A. MagallÃn wrote:
- AFAIK, with NFS4 the only needed daemons are nfsd and idmapd. And the
only accesible port from the outside is 2049, for nfsd.
I have tried to strip down my nfs server (-N 2 -N 3 -U),
but rpcinfo still gives me:

annwn:~# rpcinfo -p localhost
program vers proto port service
100000 4 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 3 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 4 udp 111 portmapper
100000 3 udp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100024 1 udp 48461 status
100024 1 tcp 37515 status
100021 1 udp 38583 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 38583 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 38583 nlockmgr
100021 1 tcp 37873 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 37873 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 37873 nlockmgr
100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
100005 1 udp 45341 mountd
100005 1 tcp 58639 mountd

disabling portampper and mountd is just a matter of initscripts
requirements, but how can I disable nlockmgr ? It isn't needed for
NFS4, isn't it ? Nor portmapper nor mountd...

Strictly speaking, portmapper is not required for NFSv4 service. However, the NFS infrastructure on Linux is still designed for NFSv2 and v3. There remains some work needed to make portmapper optional for a v4-only server. For now, continue to run it in order to handle kernel upcalls.

rpc.mountd is, however, still required on Linux NFSv4 servers. Although NFSv4 clients do not contact the server's mountd, the kernel's NFS server performs upcalls to rpc.mountd to manage export information. You can firewall off the mountd service on the server without affecting NFSv4 clients. Recent versions of rpc.mountd accept command line options that disable the mountd network service while still handling kernel upcalls.

And, as long as lockd is running, you will need to keep rpc.statd around. Again, you can firewall this service so that it is not exposed on the network, but it must continue to be available to handle kernel upcalls. This is something we hope to address eventually as part of the lockd work Bruce mentioned.