Re: nfs client hang

From: Chuck Lever
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 13:39:02 EST

On 07/28/10 03:24 AM, Andy Chittenden wrote:
resending as it seems to have been corrupted on LKML!

The RPC client marks the socket closed. and the linger timeout is
cancelled. At this point, sk_shutdown should be set to zero, correct?
I don't see an xs_error_report() call here, which would confirm that the
socket took a trip through tcp_disconnect().

From my reading of tcp_disconnect(), it calls sk->sk_error_report(sk)
unconditionally so as there's no xs_error_report(), that surely means
the exact opposite: tcp_disconnect() wasn't called. If it's not
called, sk_shutdown is not cleared. And my revised tracing confirmed
that it was set to SEND_SHUTDOWN.

Sorry, that's what I meant above.

An xs_error_report() debugging message at that point in the log would confirm that the socket took a trip through tcp_disconnect(). But I don't see such a message.