Problem with e1000e, 802.1Q VLAN's and IPMI

From: Andrey Panin
Date: Mon Jul 26 2010 - 03:50:48 EST

Hello all,

I have a problem using IPMI on Super Micro X7SBL motherboard (AOC-IPMI20-E BMC).
BMC shares ethernet port with onboard e1000e. It works when IPMI traffic is
untagged (CrcStripping=0 module option used), but if I try to use 802.1Q vlan
for IPMI traffic BMC stops responding right after "ifup eth0".
I tested 2.6.26 (debian stable kernel) and 2.6.35-rc6.
Looks like there is some problem with 802.1Q tags stripping/inserting.

There was no such problem with e1000 driver from 2.6.18.

Unfortunately I can't provide additional info right now, but I can provide
it slightly later and I'm ready to test patches.

Best regards.