Re: kernel BUG at fs/btrfs/extent-tree.c:1353

From: Daniel J Blueman
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 07:02:27 EST

On 22 July 2010 19:07, Johannes Hirte <johannes.hirte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Montag 19 Juli 2010, 10:01:46 schrieb Miao Xie:

>> > Nothing. I double checked the logs. There are only the messages when
>> > mounting the filesystem. No other errors are reported than the
>> > inaccessible file and the output from xfs_check.
>>
>> Is there anything wrong with your disks or memory?
>> Sometimes the bad memory can break the filesystem. I have met this kind of
>> problem some time ago.
>
> I don't think that's the case. I've checked the RAM with memtest86+ and got no
> errors. I got the errors with two different disks, the first one with btrfs the
> second one now with XFS. Before changing to the second disk, I've run
> badblocks on it to be sure it has no errors.

There are some known-buggy chipsets also. One still around is the
Nvidia CK804/MCP55, under certain patterns of spatially-local pending
reads and writes to the memory controller, a 64-byte request would
occasionally be returned with the wrong offset. I was hitting it with
some 27-Gbit adapters and managed to capture it on a PCI-e protocol
analyser. Rsync between network and local disk would hit sometimes
too.
--
Daniel J Blueman