Re: Filesystem hints to storage

From: Joel Becker
Date: Thu Jul 22 2010 - 15:16:45 EST

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:08:54PM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> For Enterprise NVMHCI, the working group is looking at refining these
> hints. Are there any hints that people would like to see added or
> removed from the list in NVMHCI 1.0?
>
> I think there are some hints that are hard for the filesystem to know
> itself, never mind pass down, so it'd be good to remove them to reduce
> the complexity. Contrariwise, there are some hints I think the filesystem
> could pass down that aren't in the spec today, such as the flags from
> madvise (random access vs sequential access) and whether the access is
> for fs metadata or application data.

If we're looking at the filesystem interface to all of this, I
would think these hints could be used by non-SSD storage as well.
Not only would a storage array benefit from knowing about random vs
sequential access, but expected redundancy hints would be huge in
managing utilization.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #396