Re: [BUG] ext4 trace events cause NULL pointer dereferences

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Thu Jul 22 2010 - 01:50:14 EST

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:31:20PM +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> But, I don't think this is proper fix because we don't want any overhead
> if the tracepoint is disabled.
>
> So, How do we check NULL in TP_fast_assign()?

I think ext4 is simply using an incorrectly typed tracepoint here.
If you want it to be useful in any way it needs a sb paramter and
an optional inode paramter, not the allocation context.

Also the whole ext4_mb_release_group_pa function seems to be a bit
misdesigned. The code using ac is a totally separate block at the
end of the function and does work that's unrelated to the rest
of the function. Just making it a separate helper can calling it
only from those places that have the allocation context would make
the code more clear.