Re: [patch 2/2] x86 NMI-safe INT3 and Page Fault

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Fri Jul 16 2010 - 15:41:00 EST

On 07/16/2010 10:29 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
On 07/16/2010 11:32 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
How long would vmalloc_sync_all take with a few thousand mm_struct take?

We share the pmds, yes? So it's a few thousand memory accesses. The
direct impact is probably negligible, compared to actually loading the
module from disk. All we need is to make sure the locking doesn't slow
down unrelated stuff.

It's not the memory accesses, it's the need to synchronize all the CPUs.

I'm missing something. Why do we need to sync all cpus? the vmalloc_sync_all() I'm reading doesn't.

Even if we do an on_each_cpu() somewhere, it isn't the end of the world.

signature is too narrow to contain.