Re: [patch 2/2] x86 NMI-safe INT3 and Page Fault

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Fri Jul 16 2010 - 08:30:25 EST

On 07/14/2010 06:49 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
Implements an alternative iret with popf and return so trap and exception
handlers can return to the NMI handler without issuing iret. iret would cause
NMIs to be reenabled prematurely. x86_32 uses popf and far return. x86_64 has to
copy the return instruction pointer to the top of the previous stack, issue a
popf, loads the previous esp and issue a near return (ret).

It allows placing dynamically patched static jumps in asm gotos, which will be
used for optimized tracepoints, in NMI code since returning from a breakpoint
would be valid. Accessing vmalloc'd memory, which allows executing module code
or accessing vmapped or vmalloc'd areas from NMI context, would also be valid.
This is very useful to tracers like LTTng.

This patch makes all faults, traps and exception safe to be called from NMI
context*except* single-stepping, which requires iret to restore the TF (trap
flag) and jump to the return address in a single instruction. Sorry, no kprobes
support in NMI handlers because of this limitation. This cannot be emulated
with popf/lret, because lret would be single-stepped. It does not apply to
"immediate values" because they do not use single-stepping. This code detects if
the TF flag is set and uses the iret path for single-stepping, even if it
reactivates NMIs prematurely.

You need to save/restore cr2 in addition, otherwise the following hits you

- page fault
- processor writes cr2, enters fault handler
- nmi
- page fault
- cr2 overwritten

I guess you would usually not notice the corruption since you'd just see a spurious fault on the page the NMI handler touched, but if the first fault happened in a kvm guest, then we'd corrupt the guest's cr2.

But the whole thing strikes me as overkill. If it's 8k per-cpu, what's wrong with using a per-cpu pointer to a kmalloc() area?

signature is too narrow to contain.