Re: [patch 1/2] x86_64 page fault NMI-safe

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 18:42:31 EST

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 04:05:52PM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Andi Kleen (andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > or similar. Wouldn't that be nice to have as a capability?
> >
> > It means the NMI watchdog would get useless if these areas
> > become common.
> >
> > Again I suspect all of this is not really needed anyways if
> > vmalloc_sync_all() works properly. That would solve the original
> > problem Mathieu was trying to solve for per_cpu data. The rule
> > would be just to call vmalloc_sync_all() properly when changing
> > per CPU data too.
>
> Yep, that would solve the page fault in nmi problem altogether without adding
> complexity.
>

> > In fact I'm pretty sure it worked originally. Perhaps it regressed?
>
> I'd first ask the obvious to Perf authors: does perf issue vmalloc_sync_all()
> between percpu data allocation and tracing activation ? The generic ring buffer
> library I posted last week does it already as a precaution for this very
> specific reason (making sure NMIs never trigger page faults).

Ok, I should try.

Until now I didn't because I clearly misunderstand the vmalloc internals. I'm
not even quite sure why a memory allocated with vmalloc sometimes can be not
mapped (and then fault once for this to sync). Some people have tried to explain
me but the picture is still vague to me.

And moreover, I'm not quite sure whether vmalloc_sync_all() syncs the pgd
for every tasks or so... Tejun seemed to say it's not necessary the case in
x86-32... Again I think I haven't totally understood the details.

Thanks.