Re: Workaround hardware bug addressing physical address

From: Unai Uribarri
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 13:07:23 EST

----- "Marin Mitov" <mitov@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| Hi,
|
| This is pci driver. You can set dma mask:
|
| dma_set_coheren_mask(pdev, DMA_BIT_MASK(31))
|
| All further alloc_coherent() should be from the region 0-2GB.

But I'm using a 64 bit operating system with 32GB of RAM. It's a pity to be unable to use 4GB-32GB range because the 2-4GB range is unusable. So I've written this code to skip invalid areas. Do you think this code could be useful for other drivers?

/** Structure used to store all the information about a DMA allocation which is
* needed to free it. It also has a next field to chain the allocations.
*/
typedef struct dma_allocation
{
struct device *dev;
size_t size;
dma_addr_t dma_handle;
struct list_head list;
} dma_allocation_t;

/** Validates a dma allocation
* @param{in} ptr is the pointer to the allocated dma memory
* @param{in} dma_handle is the handle to the allocated dma memory
* @return 0 if the allocation isn't valid.
*/
typedef int (*dma_validator_t)(void *ptr, struct device *dev, size_t size, dma_addr_t handle);

/** Allocates validated coherent DMA memory.
*
* Same paremeters and return value as dma_alloc_coherent, and:
* @param{in} invalid_allocs is a pointer to a list where invalid allocations are enqueued
* @param{in} validator is the validation function
*
* While the chunk of memory allocated by dma_alloc_coherent doesn't pass the validator filter,
* it's queued in invalid_allocs and another chunk of memory is allocated.
*/
static void *dma_validated_alloc_coherent(struct list_head *invalid_allocs, dma_validator_t validator,
struct device *dev, size_t size, dma_addr_t *dma_handle, gfp_t flag)
{
void *res = dma_alloc_coherent(dev, size, dma_handle, flag);

while (!IS_ERR(res) && !validator(res, dev, size, *dma_handle)) {
dma_allocation_t *entry = res;
entry->dev = dev;
entry->size = size;
entry->dma_handle = *dma_handle;
list_add_tail(&entry->list, invalid_allocs);

res = dma_alloc_coherent(dev, size, dma_handle, flag);
}
return res;
}

/** Frees all the coherent dma allocations contained in list */
static void dma_list_free_coherent(struct list_head *list)
{
dma_allocation_t *cur, *next;
list_for_each_entry_safe(cur, next, list, list) {
dma_free_coherent(cur->dev, cur->size, cur, cur->dma_handle);
}
}