Re: Regression: 2.6.34 boot fails on E5405 system, bisected: de08e2c26

From: Ben Greear
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 10:14:53 EST

On 07/13/2010 08:29 PM, Robert Hancock wrote:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Ben Greear<greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can you print out bus->number and devfn and look that up in lspci to
find out which device it's hitting? It looks like there's a device with
a PCI Express extended capability header that has a extended capability
ID of 0000h and a next capability offset of 100h, which points to
itself, causing the infinite loop. I'm guessing that if pcie_cap>> 20
<= pos then it should give up and break out of the loop, since it means
that the next capability pointer is invalidly pointing to the same or a
previous entry..

Bailing out like that does let it boot.

As for the bus and devfn: bus: 0 devfn: 129 (decimal)

I'm not sure what to look for in lspci, but here is the output with -n:

That will be device 0x10 function 1, this one:

00:10.1 0600: 8086:25f0 (rev b1)

Intel 5000 Series Chipset FSB Registers, apparently.. What does lspci
-vv show for that device?

00:10.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 5000 Series Chipset FSB Registers (rev b1)
Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Unknown device 9780
Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Kernel modules: i5000_edac, i5k_amb

Thanks,
Ben

--