Re: kmemleak, cpu usage jump out of nowhere

From: Zeno Davatz
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 06:04:15 EST

Dear Catalin

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Catalin Marinas
<catalin.marinas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Zeno Davatz <zdavatz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I got a new Intel core-8 i7 processor.
>>
>> I am on kernel uname -a
>>
>> Linux zenogentoo 2.6.35-rc5 #97 SMP Tue Jul 13 16:13:25 CEST 2010 i686
>> Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>>
>> Sometimes in the middle of nowhere all of a sudden all of my 8-cores
>> are at 100% CPU usage and my machine really lags and hangs and is not
>> useable anymore. Some random process just grabs a bunch CPUs according
>> to htop.
>>
>> dmesg tell me that
>>
>> kmemleak: 38 new suspected memory leaks (see /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak)
>> kmemleak: 2 new suspected memory leaks (see /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak)
>> kmemleak: 1 new suspected memory leaks (see /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak)
>> kmemleak: 2 new suspected memory leaks (see /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak)
>> kmemleak: 2 new suspected memory leaks (see /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak)
>> kmemleak: 1 new suspected memory leaks (see /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak)
>
> These may be related to the NO_BOOTMEM configuration (I sent a patch in
> a separate reply).
>
> But even when kmemleak scans the memory, it only uses a single thread
> and you should only see a single CPU going to 100%. I don't think
> kmemleak scanning can explain why all the 8 cores are going up to 100%.

I am doing:

/usr/src/my2.6> sudo patch -p1 < patch_catalin
patching file mm/bootmem.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 435.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 461.
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file mm/bootmem.c.rej
patching file mm/page_alloc.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 3659.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file mm/page_alloc.c.rej

Any hints why it wont apply? Will this patch be in the next RC?

Best
Zeno