Re: [RFC/PATCH] x86: Early-boot serial I/O support

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Sat Jul 10 2010 - 14:53:02 EST

On 07/10/2010 11:07 AM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
This patch adds serial I/O support to very early boot printf(). It's useful for
debugging boot code when running Linux under KVM, for example. The actual code
was lifted from early printk.

Yinghai is correct that this really needs to pick apart the command line, especially since there is already support for command-line parsing in the early boot code. I suggest we just reuse the earlyprintk= option, especially since it's basically the same code and so should have the same failure profile.

+
+ while ((inb(early_serial_base + LSR)& XMTRDY) == 0&& --timeout)
+ ;
+

cpu_relax(); here, probably.

-hpa