Re: HDD not suspending properly / dead on resume

From: Stephan Diestelhorst
Date: Fri Jul 09 2010 - 19:04:54 EST

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Friday, July 09, 2010, Stephan Diestelhorst wrote:
> > I wrote:
> > > I have an issue with suspend to RAM and I/O load on a disk. Symptoms
> > > are that the disk does not respond to requests when woken up, producing
> > > only I/O errors on all tested kernels (newest 2.6.35-rc4 (Ubuntu
> > > mainline PPA build)):
> > >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > This can be triggered most reliably with multiple "direct" writes to
> > > disk, I create the load with the attached script. If the issue is
> > > triggered, suspend (through pm-suspend) takes very long.
> >
> > > IMHO the interesting log output during suspend is:
> > > [ 1674.700125] ata1.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
> >
> > Almighty google suggested to try "pci=nomsi", which seems to have
> > cured the issue for me for now. Is that plausible? I'll keep this
> > under observation.
>
> Hmm. How does your /proc/interrupts look like?

This has been yet another red herring. After trying out the kernel
option three times with two different kernels, it failed yet again
with the same symptoms.

I have attached /proc/interrupts for 2.6.35-rc4, once with pci=nomsi
and once without, but again, I do not think this makes a difference :-/

> Also, do you have a link to this "Google suggestion"?

It was some german forum, a guy with completely different HW, but the
same symptom. I thought trying out the option wouldn't hurt.

Maybe it came for example from http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/12/20/3
originally.

Stephan
CPU0 CPU1
0: 54 5915 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 137 34 IO-APIC-edge i8042
7: 1 0 IO-APIC-edge
8: 0 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc0
9: 20 110 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
12: 1 654 IO-APIC-edge i8042
16: 1 276 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb3, ohci_hcd:usb4, ath9k, hda_intel
17: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1
18: 1 330 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb5, ohci_hcd:usb6, ohci_hcd:usb7
19: 0 21 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb2
22: 449 3999 IO-APIC-fasteoi ahci
44: 0 1 PCI-MSI-edge sky2@pci:0000:04:00.0
45: 0 17 PCI-MSI-edge hda_intel
NMI: 0 0 Non-maskable interrupts
LOC: 3120 689 Local timer interrupts
SPU: 0 0 Spurious interrupts
PMI: 0 0 Performance monitoring interrupts
PND: 0 0 Performance pending work
RES: 13688 8555 Rescheduling interrupts
CAL: 81 54 Function call interrupts
TLB: 250 287 TLB shootdowns
TRM: 0 0 Thermal event interrupts
THR: 0 0 Threshold APIC interrupts
MCE: 0 0 Machine check exceptions
MCP: 1 1 Machine check polls
ERR: 1
MIS: 0
CPU0 CPU1
0: 73 8241 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 37 396 IO-APIC-edge i8042
7: 1 0 IO-APIC-edge
8: 0 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc0
9: 1 175 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
12: 3030 157 IO-APIC-edge i8042
16: 3 296 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb3, ohci_hcd:usb4, hda_intel, ath9k
17: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1
18: 1 29 IO-APIC-fasteoi ohci_hcd:usb5, ohci_hcd:usb6, ohci_hcd:usb7, sky2@pci:0000:04:00.0
19: 0 51 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb2, hda_intel
22: 55 7629 IO-APIC-fasteoi ahci
NMI: 0 0 Non-maskable interrupts
LOC: 4255 738 Local timer interrupts
SPU: 0 0 Spurious interrupts
PMI: 0 0 Performance monitoring interrupts
PND: 0 0 Performance pending work
RES: 16044 10388 Rescheduling interrupts
CAL: 81 51 Function call interrupts
TLB: 325 423 TLB shootdowns