Re: [2.6.35-rc3] select useful number of entries for DMA debugging...

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jul 09 2010 - 17:34:44 EST

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Daniel J Blueman
<daniel.blueman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When booting 2.6.35-rc3 on some different x86 boxes with DMA debugging
> enabled, I've consistently seen it exhaust the allocated entries during
> boot, giving 'DMA-API: debugging out of memory - disabling'.
>
> Increase number of entries to allow DMA debugging again.

Rather than increase the default that gets allocated whenever anybody
enables the DMA debugging, I'd really prefer to see people use the
kernel command line option if they run out. After all, it's a (pretty
esoteric) debug option, and the number of required entries depends on
machine configuration. I'd rather not make the default cover a huge
number, when you could just add

dma_debug_entries=65536

on the kernel boot command line instead for machines that want/need it..

Linus