RE: nic enumeration

From: Loke, Chetan
Date: Fri Jul 09 2010 - 14:23:47 EST

<Chetan.Loke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Ok, no renaming, I would like a reference. And symlink just doesn't
> work
> > w/ the udevadm trigger business. We've tried that already.
> >
> > What needs to be changed in udev etc to create a soft link? Any
place
> > where I should start digging and gotchas to lookout for?
>
> By "soft link", I assume you're talking figuratively?

Yes, I was using it loosely. symlink == I would like 'udev' to do the
linkage w/ the network-devices and create a reference to it.

> Soft (symbolic)
> links are a filesystem concept, implemented by filesystem-specific
> logic that knows how to read a filename out of an inode and restart
> lookup. In order for something similar to work for network devices,
> somebody would have had to explicitly implement similar functionality.
> (Symlinks are a big headache and source of security holes -- access
> control, loops, pointing to nonexistent files, etc. -- so there's a
> good reason to NOT have an equivalent for network devices.)

Huh? If the 'ethX' interface doesn't exist just don't create the 'link'.
So are you saying there are no security issues with udev-symlinks for
other subsystems? Why is renaming allowed on the network-interface then?
Isn't that a problem? I don't see the driver re-registering their RX/TX
queues with the new-if-name.

May be I'm overlooking at something really obvious. But how are people
managing [pv]drivers with multiple vNICs in their VMs if they need a
consistent naming scheme?

Regards
Chetan Loke