Re: periods and deadlines in SCHED_DEADLINE

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Fri Jul 09 2010 - 10:30:19 EST

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 15:38 +0200, Raistlin wrote:

> Therefore, here it is my proposal:
> - if the programmer specify both period and deadline, I act as above,
> running the _only_necessary_ test in the kernel, assuming that
> userspace performed some other kind of (correct!) admission test by
> its own, or that it is cool with missing some deadlines... What do
> you think?

It would be good to provide room in the interface to improve upon this
situation.

One thing we could do, although this would make the proposed scheduler a
wee bit more complex, is split between hard and soft realtime. Only
accept P==rel_D for hard, and schedule the soft tasks in the hard slack
or something like that.

That way we can later extend the hard admission tests to accept more.