Re: while_each_thread() under rcu_read_lock() is broken?

From: Roland McGrath
Date: Thu Jul 08 2010 - 21:02:35 EST

> Hmmm... The kerneldoc for rcu_read_lock() looks like it says this
> pretty unambiguously. Then again, that is easy for me to say, given
> that I was the one who made most of this stuff up. ;-)

Yeah, well, I thought I knew what rcu_read_lock did and the only new thing
I had in mind was using call_rcu, so that's the only place I looked. It
wasn't entirely unreasonable to have to read through Documentation/RCU/ a
bit for a subtlety of this kind, and I did find it quickly enough once
Oleg's attentiveness alerted me to be freshly afraid of the subtleties.

> But it has been awhile since I looked after the kerneldoc. Please see
> below for the changes I would make if left to myself.

Those look good to me!

> Any other suggestions for improvement to the kerneldoc?

Oh, I don't know, send over someone to read it to me in a sultry voice
so I get appropriately motivated to cast about for all of it I can find
and listen closely to every word? It already looks like if I'd actually
read all of it twice that day, I would have had the information I needed.

Thanks,
Roland