Re: [patch 071/149] ARM: 6166/1: Proper prefetch abort handling onpre-ARMv6

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
Date: Wed Jul 07 2010 - 18:35:07 EST

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 11:56:01AM +0300, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> But it seems that the problem is more global. Potentially, any of
> pmd_none() check may produce false results. I don't see an easy way to fix
> it.

It isn't. We normally guarantee that we always fill on both L1 entries.
The only exception is for the mappings specified via create_mapping()
which is used for the static platform mappings.

> Does Linux VM still expect one PTE table per page?

Yes, and as far as I can see probably always will. Hence why we need
to put two L1 entries in one page and lie to the kernel about the sizes
of the hardware entries.