Re: reiserfs locking (v2)

From: Al Viro
Date: Sat Jul 03 2010 - 05:24:55 EST

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 03:12:52PM +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> Right.
>

> The problem is:
>
> vfs_readdir() { do_munmap() {
> mutex_lock(inode); read or write(don't know)_lock(mm->mmap_sem)
> reiserfs_readdir() { reiserfs_file_release() {
> read_lock(mm->mmap_sem) mutex_lock(inode);
> } }
> } }
>

> I don't think the deadlock can really happen, as we can't release the directory while
> we are reading it. Plus I guess we can't mmap a directory (someone correct me if
> I'm wrong).

Gyah... For the 1001st time: readdir() is far from being the only thing that
nests mmap_sem inside i_mutex. In particular, write() does the same thing.

So yes, it *is* a real deadlock, TYVM, with no directories involved. Open the
same file twice, mmap one fd, close it, then have munmap() hitting i_mutex
in reiserfs_file_release() race with write() through another fd.

Incidentally, reiserfs_file_release() checks in the fastpath look completely
bogus. Checking i_count? What the hell is that one about? And no, these
checks won't stop open() coming between them and grabbing i_mutex, so they
couldn't prevent the deadlock in question anyway.