Re: A possible sys_wait* bug

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Thu Jul 01 2010 - 10:10:54 EST

On 07/01, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:

> > Basically, it is possibly for readers to continuously hold
> > tasklist_lock

Yes, this is the known problem.

Perhaps do_wait() is not the worst example. sys_kill(-1),
sys_ioprio_set() scan the global list.

> > I think the most direct approach to the problem is to have the
> > readers-writer locks be writer biased (i.e. as soon as a writer
> > contends, we do not permit any new readers).

I thought about this too, but this is deadlockable. At least,
read_lock(tasklist) should nest, and it should work in irq context.

We need the more fine-grained locking, but it is not clear to me what
should be done in the long term. Afaics, this is very nontrivial.

Oleg.