Re: [LFS/VM TOPIC] Stable pages while IO (was Wrong DIF guard tagon ext2 write)

From: Boaz Harrosh
Date: Mon Jun 07 2010 - 04:30:31 EST

On 06/07/2010 02:37 AM, Jan Kara wrote:
>> With other none checksum fixtures, like RAID5/MIRROR this is not always
>> > an option and it becomes keep-constant vs copy. (That is complete
>> > workload copy). So for these setups the option is clear. No?
>
> Is it? You can have enough CPU / memory bandwidth to do the copying while
> you need not be comfortable with a thread blocking until IO is finished
> when it tries to do a rewrite...
>
>> I'm glad that you think it is easy/doable to implement. And I'll surly
>> test your above receipt. Do you think it would be acceptable as a generic
>> per-sb tunable. So for instance an ext3 over RAID5 could turn this on
>> and eliminate the data copy?
>
> Yes, that would be useful. At least so that one can get real performance
> numbers...
>
> Honza

Thanks Jan.
You have helped me tremendously. I think I can begin to understand now what I
need to do.

With the workloads I need (HPC), every cycle/memory counts and that the app
waits for a rewrite is a good thing, which reminds me that I would want to trace
that case so applications could be fixed, tuned.

I do understand that for a desktop, that might be just the opposite, so testing
is important. Perhaps I'll need help in instrumenting all this.

Thanks
Boaz