Re: suspend blockers & Android integration

From: Felipe Contreras
Date: Sun Jun 06 2010 - 07:18:46 EST

2010/6/6 Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 14:26:14 -0700
> Arve HjÃnnevÃg <arve@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > the kernel has a set of infrastructure already to help here (range
>> > timers, with which you can wakeup-limit untrusted userspace crap),
>> > timer slack for legacy background timers, etc etc.
>>
>> Range timers allows the kernel to align different timers so they don't
>> each bring the cpu out of idle individually. They do not eliminate
>> timers or make individual timers fire less often.
>
> you're incorrect.
> With range timers you can control the rate at which timers fire just
> fine.

I was wondering... Currently GLib user-space aligns itself to fire
burst of work at second boundaries without the need for IPC. But if
you want to align beyond one second you need multi-process alignment.
Say, one application says: wake me up between 30s and 1m. And the
other one says: wake me up between 10m and 20m. They could very well
align at some point if there was a central process keeping track of
all the timers.

Does the kernel provide something to solve that problem already?

--
Felipe Contreras