Re: suspend blockers & Android integration

From: david
Date: Sun Jun 06 2010 - 04:24:59 EST

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:

so I'd like to see the opportunistc suspend thing think about CPU
offlining

Side note: one reason for me being somewhat interested in the CPU
offlining is that I think the Android kind of opportunistic suspend is
_not_ likely something I'd like to see on a desktop. But an the
"opportunistic CPU offliner"? That might _well_ be useful even outside of
any other suspend activity.

When the OLPC was first released there was talk that the hardware was well designed for sleeping (including the ability for the display to keep going even if the system itself shut down), with the idealistic talk of the system possibly sleeping between keystrokes.

things didn't end up working (a couple pieces of hardware ended up not playing well with others), but the concept is still something that could end up impacting users outside of the mobile phone market, even if not on your traditional desktop.

David Lang