Re: [GIT PULL] ARM MSM updates for 2.6.35-rc1

From: Eric Miao
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 01:34:56 EST

On 06/03/2010 12:26 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Michael Ellerman wrote:
>>
>> You can sort of do that today, by just storing a delta, but oldconfig
>> will silently turn off things you have enabled if prereqs change, so
>> that doesn't really work I think.
>
> I think you can do it today with various hacks. Up to and including
> basically doing something that just selects the options you want.
>
> IOW, you could likely have a human-written Kconfig.<platform> file that
> just does
>
> define_bool MYPLATFORM y
> select .. everything I need ..
>
> include Kconfig.main
>
> or a number of other tricks.
>
> Ingo and the x86 folks (who I really think have done a very good job, and
> there really aren't any crazy defconfig files there) have this "make
> randconfig" together with scripted requirements so that you can actually
> _boot_ the random config, just because the requirements make sure that the
> things needed for booting on the test setup are selected.
>
> I forget exactly what the build setup there is (Ingo described it to me
> long time ago, but since I don't even want to have a build farm in my
> home, I didn't care much).
>
> But we certainly _can_ do a better job than the 'defconfig' thing that was
> really never meant for the kind of use it sees in ARM/POWERPC/SH/MIPS, and
> that really isn't appropriate for any manual editing (so people just run
> "make oldconfig" with tweaking or something, and then use the newly
> generated file).

It certainly looks a better way to handle this. However, considering the
facts that there are so many platforms out there, and doing a transition
without breaking any of them is a lot work, it's actually easier to just
reduce the number of defconfig at this moment, provided that most ARM
platforms with the same SoC are able to be built into a single kernel.
There are some exceptions though, I'd suggest not to introduce any other
defconfig for these platforms until their problem is solved.

Russell has setup a thread for this issue in linux-arm-kernel ML, so
hopefully there will be a lot patches around to address it.

There are some specific problems with ARM, e.g. some platforms are really
not maintained for a long time, and even no way to find someone or some
machine to test. And even with one defconfig per SoC, there could still
be about > 60 defconfigs there (compared with 178 at this moment).