Re: floppy driver assumes INITIAL_JIFFIES == 0

From: Andreas Mohr
Date: Thu Jun 03 2010 - 18:39:15 EST

> I do wonder a bit why you even care. You can't even buy non-USB floppy
> drives any more (and even the USB ones are really really hard to find),
> and judging by my experiences, they don't last long enough for there to
> be much of a legacy base.

http://such001.reichelt.de/?SID=31BKCyV6wQAR8AAHJNE7U6761b7ea498b06ffe19b1e0abcdc120b;ACTION=444
http://www.kmelektronik.de/shop/index.php?show=subgroup&group=53&subgroup=117&Sort=2
http://www.arlt.com/index.php?cl=search&searchparam=floppy

Up to 10 items each, beige, black, USB, silver, which would you want?
And those are not some shops selling shady rotten scrap hardware...
(rather, these are 3 tests I launched, with a hit rate of 3 out of 3).

OK, a cheap shot certainly, but that's just to show that one's opinion
of what hardware to make use of pretty much never is universal.

Plus I'm certain that some (forensics) folks would appreciate a floppy
driver that remains in semi-working state even in newer (i.e., current)
kernel versions in some decades, since that widens the narrow window
of often conflicting version compatibility and software
that those people will probably encounter
(with their 3 to 5 system environment emulators stacked on top of each other ;)
in their rather progressed times...

</rant>,

Andreas Mohr