Re: [GIT PULL] ARM MSM updates for 2.6.35-rc1

From: Michael Ellerman
Date: Wed Jun 02 2010 - 23:45:15 EST

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 18:20 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Now, I'm actually considering just getting rid of all the 'defconfig'
> files entirely. The x86 model is sane (there's two of them, nobody likely
> uses them), but ARM and POWERPC (and to a lesser config SH and MIPS) have
> turned the whole concept into a disgusting mess.

I agree that the defconfig mechanism is broken (ie. carrying the full
text in tree), but the concept is sane IMHO.

What'd be nice is if the defconfig could just be a delta against a base
config for the architecture - that would make most of them reasonably
small, just turning on/off a few options.

You can sort of do that today, by just storing a delta, but oldconfig
will silently turn off things you have enabled if prereqs change, so
that doesn't really work I think.

cheers