Re: [Patch 1/1] x86 pci: Add option to not assign BAR's if not alreadyassigned

From: Mike Travis
Date: Mon May 31 2010 - 07:12:33 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
On 05/28/2010 10:10 AM, Mike Travis wrote:

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
On 05/28/2010 09:53 AM, Mike Travis wrote:
Any further consideration for this patch, or has it been rejected?
Well, it's really up to Jesse, but as far as I can see, this patch is a
net loss of functionality and doesn't actually add anything. Without
this patch, some resources that were not assigned by BIOS will be
unreachable. With this patch, *all* resources that were not assigned by
BIOS will be unreachable...

-hpa

Apparently you're missing the point of the patch? The patch is needed
because BIOS is purposely not assigning I/O BAR's to devices that won't
use them, freeing up the resource for devices that do need them. Where
is the "all" resources that are not reachable?

No, the patch isn't needed for those.

Without your patch:

- Devices assigned by BIOS remain assigned;
- Devices not assigned by BIOS get assigned until address space
exhausted.

With your patch:

- Devices assigned by BIOS remain assigned;
- Devices not assigned by BIOS never get assigned at all.

What am I missing here?

-hpa

BIOS still assigns the MMIO BAR's so the devices are alive.