idle-test patches queued for upstream

From: Len Brown
Date: Wed May 26 2010 - 22:42:51 EST

Please look over and test this patch set.
(If you test linux-next, you already have it)

There are a few simple patches, leading up to a new intel_idle driver.

Note that you can get the patch series as a single patch here:
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/idle/patches/2.6.34/idle-test-2.6.34.diff.gz

or pull from this git branch
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lenb/linux-idle-2.6.git idle-test

Both are vs 2.6.34.

Why is it good to have a native intel_idle driver?

Basically, we think we can do better than ACPI.
Indeed, on my (production level commerically available) Nehalem desktop
the ACPI tables are broken and an ACPI OS idles at 100W. With this
driver the box idles at 85W.

Thanks,
-Len