building linux kernel

From: ranjith kumar
Date: Tue May 25 2010 - 07:20:36 EST

Hi,

I am using fedora11 on my PC. I downloaded the linux kernel souce code.
I copied config file from /boot directory and tried to compile. I am
getting some compilation errors.
So I configured the kernel, with 'make defconfig', and it is
compiling successfully.
But when I am booting my machine with new kernel, it simply starts and
displays '-' at top of the screen. nothing more.

My question is are fedora and linux kernel are connected or not? If so how?
I thinks linux kernel runs for a while, when it is booted. But after
that control comes to fedora.

For example, in Fedora we can play chess.Windows are
displayed.......etc ...many graphical things are there.
I don't think that these gaphics, chess game.....are not part of linux kernel.
Am I right?

Also, some time back when I was using fedora10, I configured linux
kernel with /boot/ config file. I successfully compiled and run new
linux kernel.
When I boot with new kernel, it is still going into fedora. But when I
run uname command it is showing new kernel version. But how come I was
able to play chess game? chess game is not part of kernel.

So if you got what I am asking, please tell me how to disconnect
fedora and linux kernel? So when I boot with new kernel only kernel's
things should be running. not fedora's chess game. How to disconnect
them?

Thanks in advance