Re: [linux-pm] Is it supposed to be ok to call del_gendisk whileuserspace is frozen?

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Mon May 24 2010 - 17:21:25 EST

Hi.

On 25/05/10 05:02, Pavel Machek wrote:

- We're dealing with the symptom, not the cause. Almost always a bad idea.

I very much prefer to have a fix for a symptom than no fix at all, which is the
realistic alternative in this case.

So, I think we should merge the patch and if someone finds the root cause
at one point in future, then we can just use the *right* approach instead of
the present one.

The problem is real and people in the field are affected by it, so if you don't
have a working alternative patch, please just let go.

I'm not denying that the problem is real. What I am concerned about
is finding a real solution, not just putting a sticky plaster over
the wound. It seems to me to be much wiser to deal with the issue
properly now instead of doing extra work later to diagnose what
might be a harder to reproduce symptom of the same problem. I'd
happily put the time in now myself, but I simply don't have the time
this week.

Would it be possible to apply the patch, adding some sort of new tag
that can be used to say "This needs further attention", perhaps
including an enduring reference to this conversation. Later, the
'real' fix could include another special tag that says "Proper fix
for the symptom addressed in commit 5e94f810"?

WARN_ON() whenever patch triggers?

I suppose that would do. I was thinking of a more generic git tag that could perhaps be searched for later, but .. okay.

Nigel